- 1.To identify the proportion of patients presenting to a single Emergency Department with mechanical Low Back Pain who received management in line with the guidelines; and
- 2.To understand and describe factors that can influence clinicians’ (non-) adherence to the guidelines.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Australasian Emergency Care
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Back problems Cat. no. PHE 231. Canberra: AIHW; 2019.
Australian Bureau of Statistics. National health survey: first results. 2017–18.
- A systematic review and meta-synthesis of the impact of low back pain on people’s lives.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2014; 15: 50
- The epidemiology of back pain and its relationship with depression, psychosis, anxiety, sleep disturbances, and stress sensitivity: data from 43 low- and middle-income countries.Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2016; 43: 63-70
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Emergency department care 2017-18: Ausralian Hospital Statistics. Canberra: AIHW; 2018.
- Prevalence of low back pain in emergency settings: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017; 18: 143
- Healthcare costs due to low back pain in the emergency department and inpatient setting in Sydney, Australia.Lancet Reg Health West Pac. 2021; 7100089
- Review article: best practice management of low back pain in the emergency department (part 1 of the musculoskeletal injuries rapid review series).Emerg Med Austral. 2018; 30: 18-35
- Management of patients presenting with low back pain to a private hospital emergency department in Melbourne, Australia.Emerg Med Austral. 2022; 34 (157-63)
- Managing non-serious low back pain in the emergency department: time for a change?.Emerg Med Austral. 2018; 30 (279-82)
- Safety, efficacy, and cost effectiveness of evidence-based guidelines for the management of acute low back pain in primary care.Spine (Philos Pa 1976). 2001; 26: 2615-2622
- Imaging for patients presenting to an emergency department with back pain: Impact on patient pathway.Emerg Med Austral. 2016; 28: 412-418
- Worsening trends in the management and treatment of back pain.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 1573-1581
Queensland Health Clinical Excellence Division. ED monthly performance and analysis report; 2022.
- Using mixed-methods sequential explanatory design: from theory to practice.Field Methods. 2006; 18: 3-20
- Achieving integration in mixed methods designs-principles and practices.Health Serv Res. 2013; 48: 2134-2156
- Comparison of convenience sampling and purposive sampling.Am J Theor Appl Stat. 2016; 5: 1-4
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)--a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inf. 2009; 42: 377-381
- The REDCap consortium: building an international community of software platform partners.J Biomed Inform. 2019; 95103208
QSR International Pty Ltd. NVivo; 2020.
- Using thematic analysis in psychology.Qual Res Psychol. 2006; 3: 77-101
- Ensuring trustworthiness in qualitative research.Belitung Nurs J. 2015; 1: 10-11
- Management of low back pain in Australian emergency departments.BMJ Qual Saf. 2019; 28 (826-34)
- CDC guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain—United States, 2016.JAMA. 2016; 315: 1624-1645
- Perspectives of emergency department clinicians on the challenges of addressing low back pain in the emergency setting: a qualitative study.Emerg Med Austral. 2022; 34: 199-208
- How common is imaging for low back pain in primary and emergency care? Systematic review and meta-analysis of over 4 million imaging requests across 21 years.Br J Sports Med. 2019; 54 (bjsports-2018)
- Clinical guidelines for low back pain: a critical review of consensus and inconsistencies across three major guidelines.Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2016; 30 (968-80)
- Current management practices for patients presenting with low back pain to a large emergency department in Canada.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017; 18: 92
- General practitioner experiences using a low back pain management booklet aiming to decrease non-indicated imaging for low back pain.Implement Sci Commun. 2022; : 3