Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Australasian Emergency Care
World Health Organization. Global status report on road safety 2018. Geneva2018.
Devlin, A., Hoareau, E., Logan, D., Corben, B., Oxley, J., editors. Towards zero pedestrian trauma: literaturereview and serious casualty analysis. In: Proceedings of the Australasian Road Safety Research Policing Education Conference, 2010, Canberra, ACT, Australia; 2010.
Palamara P., Broughton M. An investigation of pedestrian crashes at traffic intersections in the Perth Central Business. regulation. 2013;5:169–175.
Oxley J., O'Hern S., Stephan K., Burtt D., Rossiter B. Understanding Pedestrian Crashes in Victoria. Melbourne: Victoria Walks; 2020.
ANCAP. ANCAP Vehicle Selection, Specification, Testing & Retesting Protocol. 〈https://www.ancap.com.au/technical-protocols-and-policies〉: ANCAP; 2021. Report No.: 7.5.
- The non-linearity of risk and the promotion of environmentally sustainable transport.Accid Anal Prev. 2009; 41: 849-855
Bureau of Infrastructure and Transport Research Economics (BITRE). Hospitalised Injury. Australian Government, Canberra2020.
Australian Trauma Quality Improvement (AusTQIP) Collaboration. Australia New Zealand Trauma Registry, Management of the Severely Injured, 1 July 2017 to 30 June 2018. Alfred Health, Melbourne, Victoria. 2019.
- Personal injury recovery cost of pedestrian–vehicle collisions in New South Wales, Australia.Traffic Inj Prev. 2016; 17: 508-514
- Acute costs and predictors of higher treatment costs of trauma in New South Wales, Australia.Injury. 2014; 45: 279-284
- Standardising trauma monitoring: the development of a minimum dataset for trauma registries in Australia and New Zealand.Injury. 2012; : 44
- Overview of major traumatic injury in Australia – implications for trauma system design.Injury. 2020; 51: 114-121
Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine. The Abbreviated Injury Scale 2005 - Update 2008. Barrington IL,: Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine; 2008.
- Injury pattern, outcome and characteristics of severely injured pedestrian.Scand J Trauma, Resusc Emerg Med. 2015; 23: 56
- Older adult pedestrian trauma: a systematic review, meta-analysis, and GRADE assessment of injury health outcomes from an aggregate study sample of 1 million pedestrians.Accid Anal Prev. 2021; 152105970
- Data-driven opportunity to reduce elderly pedestrian trauma.Am Surg. 2019; 85: 466-470
- The prevalence of alcohol and other drugs in fatal road crashes in Victoria, Australia.Accid Anal Prev. 2021; 153105905
- Alcohol-impaired walking in 16 countries: a theory-based investigation.Accid Anal Prev. 2021; 159106212
- Countermeasures to the problem of accidents to intoxicated pedestrians.J Forensic Leg Med. 2010; 17: 115-119
- Road accident rates: strategies and programmes for improving road traffic safety.Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. 2016; 42: 433-438
- Spatial factors affecting the frequency of pedestrian traffic crashes: a systematic review.Arch Trauma Res. 2016; 5e30796
- Toward designing pedestrian–friendly vehicles.Int J Veh Saf. 2015; 8: 22-54
- Exploratory analysis of pedestrian road trauma in Finland.Sustainability. 2021; 13: 6715
- Leading pedestrian interval: assessment and implementation guidelines.Transp Res Rec. 2015; 2519: 85-94
Monsere C., Figliozzi M., Kothuri S., Razmpa A., Hazel D. Safety effectiveness of pedestrian crossing enhancements. SPR 778. Oregon Department of Transportation and Federal Highway Administration; 2017.
- Measuring community/environmental interventions: the child pedestrian injury prevention project.Inj Prev. 1999; 5: 26-30
- Effectiveness of the P.A.R.T.Y. (Prevent Alcohol and Risk-Related Trauma in Youth) Program in Preventing Traumatic Injuries: A 10-Year Analysis.J Trauma. 2011; 70: 732-735https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e31820783a3
Bureau of Infrastructure and Transport Research Economics (BITRE). Road trauma Australia 2018 statistical summary. Australian Government, Canberra2019.
- Community-based childhood injury prevention interventions: what works?.Health Promot Int. 2002; 17: 273-284
European Transport Safety Council. Zero cyclist and pedestrian deaths in Helsinki and Oslo last year. 2020.
- How Oslo achieved zero.Inst Transp Eng ITE J. 2020; 90: 32-38
Kröyer H.R. Is 30 km/hr ‘safe’speed? Injury severity of pedestrians struck by a vehicle and the relation to travel speed and age. In: Proceedings of the International Association of Traffic and Safety Sciences. 2015;39(1):42–50.
- Driving Speeds and Pedestrian Safety.Helsinki University, Helsinki, Finland1990
- Real-world evaluation of the effectiveness of reversing camera and parking sensor technologies in preventing backover pedestrian injuries.Accid Anal Prev. 2017; 99: 39-43
- Evaluation of the effectiveness of traffic calming measures on vehicle speeds and pedestrian injury severity in Ghana.Traffic Inj Prev. 2019; 20: 336-342
National Road Safety Strategy. Heavy vechicle safety [Fact sheet]. 2021.
- Pedestrian safety and the built environment: a review of the risk factors.J Plan Lit. 2015; 30: 377-392
Australian Trauma Quality Improvement (AusTQIP) Collaboration, 2021. Australia New Zealand Trauma Registry, Management of the Severely Injured, 1 July 2020 to 30 June 2021. Alfred Health, Melbourne, Victoria.
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
☆Funnel plot data shows mortality risk by the number of cases for each site. Solid grey line represents the mean. Dashed contours represent two standard deviations (95 % control limits) and three standard deviations (99.8 % control limits) from the mean. Those above and below these lines are considered outliers, with a 5 % and 0.2 % chance of a false positive, respectively.
☆☆Figure presents data from four financial years. Absolute number of pedestrians is on the left y-axis and refers to Fatal injury (black fill) and Serious Injury (striped column). Proportion of patients is indicated on the right y-axis and refers to % Fatal (grey fill) and % Serious (striped triangle).
★Data is from 2015 to 2019, presented in 10-year age groups, and split into male (striped) and female (no fill).