Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Australasian Emergency Care
- Use of short peripheral intravenous catheters: characteristics, management, and outcomes worldwide.J Hosp Med. 2018; 13
Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care. Management of peripheral intravenous catheters. Clinical care standard [Internet]; 2021 [cited 2022 February 19]. Available from: 〈https://www.safetyandquality.gov.au/sites/default/files/2021-05/management_of_peripheral_intravenous_catheters_clinical_care_standard_-_accessible_pdf.pdf〉.
- Prevalence of device use and transmission based precautions in nineteen large Australian acute care public hospitals: secondary outcomes from a national healthcare associated infection point prevalence survey.Infect Dis Health. 2020; 25: 262-267
- Peripheral intravenous cannula insertion and use in a tertiary hospital emergency department: a cross-sectional study.Australas Emerg Care. 2020; 23: 166-172
- Observational study of peripheral intravenous catheter outcomes in adult hospitalized patients: a multivariable analysis of peripheral intravenous catheter failure.J Hosp Med. 2018; 13: 83-89
- Accepted but unacceptable: peripheral IV catheter failure.J Infus Nurs. 2015; 38: 189-203
- Risk factors for peripheral intravenous catheter failure: a multivariate analysis of data from a randomized controlled trial.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 63-68
- Incidence, risk factors and medical cost of peripheral intravenous catheter-related complications in hospitalised adult patients.J Vasc Access. 2022; 23: 57-66
- Incidence of peripheral intravenous catheter failure and complications in paediatric patients: systematic review and meta analysis.Int J Nurs Stud. 2020; 102103488
- Removal of peripheral intravenous catheters due to catheter failures among adult patients.J Infus Nurs. 2017; 40: 224-231
- Not "just" an intravenous line: consumer perspectives on peripheral intravenous cannulation (PIVC). An international cross-sectional survey of 25 countries.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0193436
- The incidence and risk of infusion phlebitis with peripheral intravenous catheters: a meta-analysis.J Vasc Access. 2020; 21: 342-349
- Peripheral intravenous catheter dressing and securement practice is associated with site complications and suboptimal dressing integrity: a secondary analysis of 40,637 catheters.Int J Nurs Stud. 2019; 100103409
- Short-term peripheral venous catheter-related bloodstream infections: a systematic review.Clin Infect Dis. 2017; 65: 1757-1762
- The incidence and cumulative risk of primary bloodstream and venous infections in 12,942 peripheral intravenous catheters in Australia.Infect Dis Health. 2018; 23: S7-S8
- Peripheral intravenous catheter-associated Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia: more than 5 years of prospective data from two tertiary health services.Med J Aust. 2013; 198: 551-553
Government of Western Australia. Healthcare infection surveillance Western Australia (HISWA) quarterly aggregate report [Internet]; 2022 [cited on 2022 July 8]. Available from: 〈https://ww2.health.wa.gov.au/Articles/F_I/Infectious-disease-data/Healthcare-Infection-Surveillance-Western-Australia-HISWA-reports〉.
- Characteristics of Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia and predictors of early and late mortality.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0170236
- Prevalence and mortality associated with bloodstream organisms: a population-wide retrospective cohort study.J Clin Microbiol. 2022; 60 (e02429-21)
- Impact of healthcare-associated infection on length of stay.J Hosp Infect. 2021; 114: 23-31
Choosing Wisely. Principles into practice 2020 [internet]. NSW (AU); 2021 [cited 2022 March 1]. Available from: 〈https://www.choosingwisely.org.au/assets/Choosing-Wisely-Australia-2020-Annual-Report-Principles-into-Practice.pdf〉.
- Derivation of a clinical decision-making aid to improve the insertion of clinically indicated peripheral intravenous catheters and promote vessel health preservation. An observational study.PLoS One. 2019; 14e0213923
- First do no harm: In fact, first do nothing, at least not a cannula.Emerg Med Australas. 2013; 25: 289-290
- Peripheral intravenous cannula insertion and use in the emergency department: an intervention study.Acad Emerg Med. 2018; 25: 26-32
- Evaluating the sustained effectiveness of a multimodal intervention aimed at influencing PIVC insertion practices in the emergency department.Emerg Med J. 2020; 37: 444-449
Australian Government. Ambulance services. Report on government services 2022 [Internet]; 2022 [cited 2022 July 7]. Available from: 〈https://www.pc.gov.au/research/ongoing/report-on-government-services/2022/health/ambulance-services〉.
- Prehospital use of peripheral intravenous catheters and intraosseous devices: an integrative literature review of current practices and issues.Australas Emerg Care. 2020; 23: 196-202
- The integrative review: updated methodology.J Adv Nurs. 2005; 52: 546-553
- The development of an updated prehospital search filter for the Cochrane library: prehospital search Fflter version 2.0.Australas J Paramed. 2010; 8
- Paramedic literature search filters: optimised for clinicians and academics.BMC Med Inf Decis Mak. 2017; 17: 1-6
- The Mixed Methods Appraisal Tool (MMAT) version 2018 for information professionals and researchers.Educ Inf. 2018; 34: 285-291
- The PRISMA 2020 statement: an updated guideline for reporting systematic reviews.Int J Surg. 2021; 88105906
- Profile of occurance in the service to eldery people by the mobile pre-hospital care service.Rev Pesui Cuid Fundam. 2021; 13
- Utilisation of prehospital intravenous access.S Afr Med J. 2014; 104: 615-618
- It depends: decision-making for insertion and removal of short peripheral catheters.J Infus Nurs. 2021; 44: 103-112
- Epidemiology of trauma patients attended by ambulance paramedics in Perth, Western Australia.Emerg Med Australas. 2018; 30: 827-833
- Procedures performed by emergency medical services in the United States.Prehosp Emerg Care. 2016; 20: 15-21
- National characteristics of emergency medical services responses for older adults in the United States.Prehosp Emerg care. 2018; 22: 7-14
- Idle peripheral intravenous cannulation: an observational cohort study of pre-hospital and emergency department practices.Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2021; 29: 1-13
- Peripheral intravenous cannulation decision-making in emergency settings: a qualitative descriptive study.BMJ Open. 2022; 12e054927
- Utility of peripheral intravenous cannulae inserted in one tertiary referral emergency department: a medical record audit.Australas Emerg Nurs J. 2016; 19: 20-25
- Peripheral intravenous line placement and utilization in an academic emergency department.J Emerg Med. 2016; 50: 235-238
- Use of peripheral vascular access in the prehospital setting: is there room for improvement?.BMC Emerg Med. 2020; 20
Mason M, Wallis M, Barr N, Matagian N, Lord B. Peripheral intravenous catheter and intraosseous device insertions reported from the 1st July 2016 to 30th June 2017 in an Australian state ambulance service: an observational study. Austalas Emerg Care [Internet]; 2022 [cited on 2022 May 5]. Available from: 〈https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2588994X22000215〉.
- Intravenous access during out-of-hospital emergency care of noninjured patients: a population-based outcome study.Ann Emerg Med. 2012; 59: 296-303
- Utilization of intravenous catheters by prehospital providers during pediatric pransports.Prehosp Emerg Care. 2018; 22: 50-57
- Indication and usage of peripheral venous catheters inserted in adult patients during emergency care.J Vasc Access. 2011; 12: 193-199
- Predictors of ED attendance in older patients with chronic disease: a data linkage study.Aust Health Rev. 2020; 44: 550-556
- Vascular access in children.Indian J Anaesth. 2019; 63: 737-745
- When are prehospital intravenous catheters used for treatment?.J Emerg Med. 2009; 36: 357-362
- Prehospital intravenous line placement assessment in the French emergency system: a prospective study.Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2006; 23: 594-597
- Paramedic decisions with placement of out-of-hospital intravenous lines.Am J Emerg Med. 1999; 17: 544-547
- Multivariate analysis of successful intravenous line placement in the prehospital setting.Prehosp Emerg Care. 2013; 17: 46-50
- The prehospital intravenous access assessment: a prospective study on intravenous access failure and access delay in prehospital emergency medicine.Eur J Emerg Med. 2016; 23: 442-447
- Factors associated with peripheral intravenous cannulation first-time insertion success in the emergency department. A multicentre prospective cohort analysis of patient, clinician and product characteristics.BMJ Open. 2019; 9e022278
Salvetti M, Paini A, Colonetti E, Mutti C, Bonetti S, Broggi A, et al. Intravenous access placement and fluid administration appropriateness in the emergency department. Emerg Care J [Internet]; 2021 [cited 2022 Jul 1] 17(1). Available from: 〈https://www.pagepressjournals.org/index.php/ecj/article/view/9150〉.
- Prevalence, risk factors, and outcomes of idle intravenous catheters: an integrative review.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: e167-e172
- International recommendations for a vascular access minimum dataset: a Delphi consensus-building study.BMJ Qual Saf. 2021; 30: 722-730
- Healthcare practitioner perspectives and experiences regarding vascular access device data: an exploratory study.Int J Health Manag. 2021; 14: 948-955
- A review on sublingual route is the most promising choice in an emergency.Appl Clin Res Clin Tri Regul Aff. 2018; 5: 200-215
- Intranasal fentanyl versus subcutaneous fentanyl for pain management in prehospital patients with acute pain: a retrospective analysis.Prehosp Emerg Care. 2020; 24: 760-768
Ambulance Victoria. Clinical practice guidelines [Internet]; 2022 [cited 2022 Jul 5]. Available from: 〈https://cpg.ambulance.vic.gov.au/#/entry〉.
Queensland Ambulance Service. Drug therapy protocols [Internet]; 2022 [cited 2022 Jul 5]. Available from: 〈https://www.ambulance.qld.gov.au/dtprotocols.html〉.
ACT Emergency Services Agency. Ambulance clinical management guidelines [Internet]; 2019 [cited 2022 Jul 5]. Available from: 〈https://esa.act.gov.au/about-esa-emergency-services/ambulance/clinical-management-guidelines〉.
St John WA. Medication administration [Internet]; 2022 [cited 2022 Jul 5]. Available from: 〈http://clinical.stjohnwa.com.au/general/medication-administration〉.
- A qualitative exploration of infection prevention and control guidance for Australian paramedics.Australas J Paramed. 2017; 14
- EMS disease exposure, transmission, and prevention: a review article.Curr Emerg Hosp Med Rep. 2019; 7: 135-140
- Risk of occupational exposure to blood-borne pathogens in paramedics.Med Pract. 2018; 69: 685-694
- Cross-sectional survey on occupational needle stick injuries amongst prehospital emergency medical service personnel in Johannesburg.Afr J Emerg Med. 2019; 9: 197-201
- Caveats for the use of operational electronic health record data in comparative effectiveness research.Med Care. 2013; 51: S30