Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Australasian Emergency Care
- The impact of acute care surgery on appendicitis outcomes: results from a national sample of university-affiliated hospitals.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2015; 79: 282-288https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0000000000000732
- Diagnosis and treatment of acute appendicitis: 2020 update of the WSES Jerusalem guidelines.World J Emerg Surg. 2020; 15: 27https://doi.org/10.1186/s13017-020-00306-3
Edwards KH, Franklin RC, Jones R, Kuhnert PM, Khanna S. Exploring the air ambulance patients' journey outcomes in Central Queensland, Australia. Manuscript under review.
- Use of national burden to define operative emergency general surgery.JAMA Surg. 2016; 151 (e160480-e160480)https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2016.0480
- Impact of interhospital transfer on patient outcomes in emergency general surgery.Surgery. 2021; 169: 455-459https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2020.08.032
- Regionalization of emergency general surgery operations: a simulation study.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2020; 88: 366-371https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0000000000002543
- Factors associated with potentially avoidable interhospital transfers in emergency general surgery-a call for quality improvement efforts.Surgery. 2021; 170: 1298-1307https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2021.05.021
- An investigation into the cost, coverage and activities of Helicopter Emergency Medical Services in the state of New South Wales, Australia.Injury. 2011; 42: 1088-1094https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2011.02.013
- Scant justification for interhospital transfers: a cause of reduced efficiency in the emergency department.Emerg Med J. 2008; 25: 558-561https://doi.org/10.1136/emj.2007.052415
- Secondary overtriage: the burden of unnecessary interfacility transfers in a rural trauma system.JAMA Surg. 2013; 148: 763-768
- Outcomes of children with suspected appendicitis and incompletely visualized appendix on ultrasound.Acad Emerg Med. 2014; 21: 538-542https://doi.org/10.1111/acem.12377
- The implications of missed opportunities to diagnose appendicitis in children.Acad Emerg Med. 2013; 20: 592-596https://doi.org/10.1111/acem.12144
- Diagnostic utilization and accuracy of pediatric appendicitis imaging at adult and pediatric centers.J Surg Res. 2019; 240: 97-103https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2019.02.047
Parliament of Australia. Availability and accessibility of diagnostic imaging equipment around Australia; 2018, 9 March. Senate Standing Committees on Community Affairs. 〈https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Diagnosticimaging/Report〉 [Accessed 12 March 2021].
Queensland Health. Protocol for management of inter-hospital transfers; 2021. 〈https://www.health.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0023/1115357/qh-hsdptl-025-2.pdf〉 [Accessed 1 December 2021].
- Which transfers can we avoid: multi-state analysis of factors associated with discharge home without procedure after ED to ED transfer for traumatic injury.Am J Emerg Med. 2018; 36: 797-803https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2017.10.024
- Factors associated with emergency department discharge after pediatric interhospital transport: a role for outreach education.Pedia Emerg Care. 2015; 31: 10-14https://doi.org/10.1097/pec.0000000000000326
- Pro-con debate on regionalization of emergency general surgery: controversy or common sense?.Trauma Surg Acute Care Open. 2019; 4e000319https://doi.org/10.1136/tsaco-2019-000319
- Interhospital transfer delays emergency abdominal surgery and prolongs stay.ANZ J Surg. 2017; 87: 867-872https://doi.org/10.1111/ans.13824
- A program profile of air medical transport in regional central Queensland, Australia.Air Med J. 2019; 38: 431-436https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amj.2019.09.003
- Aeromedical retrievals in Queensland: a five-year review.Emerg Med Austral. 2020; 33 (34-33)https://doi.org/10.1111/1742-6723.13559
Queensland Health. Central Queensland hospital and health service annual report 2012–13; 2013. 〈https://www.health.qld.gov.au/cq/annual-report-2012–13/docs/cqhhs-annual-report-web.pdf〉 [Accessed 9 January 2020].
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Emergency department ICD-10-AM (10th ed.) principal diagnosis short list code. 〈https://meteor.aihw.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/640980/meteorItemView/long〉 [Accessed 4 April 2020].
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Australian refined diagnosis-related groups. Accessed 5 April 2020. 〈https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/hospitals/ar-drg-data-cubes/contents/data-cubes〉.
American Hospital Association. ICD-10-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting FY 2016, Sections II.H and III.C. Coding Clinic; 2005:21. [Accessed 5 April 2020].
American College of Physicians. More crucial coding for clinicians; November 2016. 〈https://acphospitalist.org/archives/2016/11/coding-rules-clinicians.htm〉 [Accessed 5 April 2020].
- Strengthening the reporting of observational studies in epidemiology (STROBE): explanation and elaboration.Epidemiology. 2007; 18: 805-835https://doi.org/10.1097/EDE.0b013e3181577511
Cohen J. A power primer. Vol. 112; 1992. p. 155–159. 〈http://www.bwgriffin.com/workshop/Sampling %20A %20Cohen %20tables.pdf〉 [Accessed 13 November 2021].
- Relationship between the time required for transfer and outcomes in patients with appendicitis: experience at a tertiary military hospital in South Korea.Medicine. 2019; 98e17715https://doi.org/10.1097/md.0000000000017715
- Outcomes of hospital transfers for pediatric abdominal pain and appendicitis.JAMA Netw Open. 2018; 1 (e183249-e183249)https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2018.3249
- Appendicitis in children with acute abdominal pain in primary care, a retrospective cohort study.Fam Pract. 2021; 38: 758-765https://doi.org/10.1093/fampra/cmab039
- The hub-and-spoke organization design revisited: a lifeline for rural hospitals.BMC Health Serv Res. 2017; 17: 795https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-017-2755-5
- Aeromedical retrieval for suspected appendicitis in rural and remote paediatric patients.Australas J Ultrasound Med. 2020; 23: 47-51https://doi.org/10.1002/ajum.12198
- Appendicitis or non-specific abdominal pain in pre-school children: When to request abdominal ultrasound?.J Paediatr Child Health. 2020; 56: 367-371https://doi.org/10.1111/jpc.14617
- Acute appendicitis: modern understanding of pathogenesis, diagnosis, and management.Lancet. 26 2015; 386: 1278-1287https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(15)00275-5
- Gender differences in mortality following non-cardiovascular surgery: an observational study.Can J Anaesth. 2012; 59: 255-262https://doi.org/10.1007/s12630-011-9629-9
- In reply.Ann Emerg Med. 2011; 57: 74-75https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2010.08.004
- Accuracy of clinician-clinical coder information handover following acute medical admissions: implication for using administrative datasets in clinical outcomes management.J Public Health. 2016; 38: 352-362https://doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/fdv041
Queensland Health. QHAPDC Standard; 2020. 〈https://www.health.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0023/1013468/Clinical-Coding-Standard_March-2020_v0.1.pdf〉 [Accessed 22 November 2021].
☆The authorship listing conforms with the journal’s authorship policy and all authors are in agreement with the content of the submitted manuscript.