Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 328 diseases and injuries for 195 countries, 1990–2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016. Lancet (London, England). 2017;390(10100):1211–59.
- A novel approach for managing the growing demand for ambulance services by low-acuity patients.Aust Health Rev. 2016; 40: 378-384
- Ambulance dispatch of older patients following primary and secondary telephone triage in metropolitan Melbourne, Australia: a retrospective cohort study.BMJ Open. 2020; 10e042351
- Management of low back pain in Australian emergency departments.BMJ Qual Saf. 2019; 28: 826-834
Institute of Medicine. Graham R, Mancher M, Wolman DM, Greenfield S, Steinberg E, editors. Clinical practice guidelines we can trust. Washington (DC): National Academies Press, 2011; p2.
- An updated overview of clinical guidelines for the management of non-specific low back pain in primary care.Eur Spine J. 2010; 19: 2075-2094
- Clinical practice guidelines for the management of non-specific low back pain in primary care: an updated overview.Eur Spine J. 2018; 27: 2791-2803
National Guideline C. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence: Guidelines. Low Back Pain and Sciatica in Over 16s: Assessment and Management. London: National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) Copyright © NICE, 2016.; 2016.
- Noninvasive treatments for acute, subacute, and chronic low back pain: a clinical practice guideline from the American College of Physicians.Ann Intern Med. 2017; 166: 514-530
- Diagnosis and management of low-back pain in primary care.Can Med Assoc J. 2017; 189: E1386-e95
- Makarski J on behalf of the AGREE Next Steps Consortium. AGREE II: Advancing guideline development, reporting and evaluation in healthcare.Can Med Assoc J. 2010; 182: E839-E842https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.090449
St John Ambulance Australia (NT). Clinical Practice Manual [Pain management]. [Internet]. Northern Territory; St John Ambulance Australia. 2021. Available from: https://www.stjohnnt.org.au/ambulance/ambulance-services.
ACT Emergency Services Agency. Clinical Management Guidelines [Pain management]. [Internet]. Canberra. ACT Emergency Services Agency. 2021. Available from: https://esa.act.gov.au/about-esa-emergency-services/ambulance/clinical-management-guidelines.
St John Ambulance Australia (WA). Clinical Practice Guidelines. [Relief of pain].[Internet]. Western Australia. St John Ambulance Australia. 2017. Available from: https://clinical.stjohnwa.com.au/clinical-practice-guidelines/general/relief-of-pain.
Queensland Government. Queensland Ambulance Service. Clinical Practice Guideline. [Pain management]. [Internet]. Queensland, Queensland Ambulance Service. 2021. Available from: https://www.ambulance.qld.gov.au/docs/clinical/cpg/CPG_Pain%20management.pdf.
St John New Zealand. Clinical Procedures and Guidelines: Comprehensive Edition; 2019–2022. [Non-traumatic lumbar back pain].[Internet] New Zealand, St John New Zealand. 2019. Available from: https://www.stjohn.org.nz/globalassets/documents/health-practitioners/clinical-procedures-and-guidelines---comprehensive-edition.pdf.
Ambulance Victoria. Clinical Practice Guidelines. [Pain relief].[Internet]. Victoria, Ambulance Victoria. 2021. Available from: https://cpg.ambulance.vic.gov.au/#/tabs/tab-0/info.
Ambulance Tasmania. Clinical Practice Guidelines for Paramedics & Intensive Care Paramedics. [Pain management].[Internet]. Hobart, Ambulance Tasmania. 2012. Available from: https://doh.health.tas.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/107334/A00_-_Ambulance_Tasmania_Clinical_Practice_Guidelines_for_Paramedics_and.pdf.
SA Ambulance Service. ECP Clinical Practice Pathway. [Pain]. SA Ambulance Service. 2015.
NSW Ambulance Service.NSW Ambulance Protocols. [Back pain]. [Application]. Sydney, NSW Ambulance Service. 2018. Available from: NSW Ambulance Protocol app.
- Management of non-specific low back pain in primary care - a systematic overview of recommendations from international evidence-based guidelines.Prim Health Care Res Dev. 2020; 21e64
- Emergency department interventions for adult patients with low back pain: a systematic review of randomised controlled trials.Emerg Med J. 2021; 38: 59
- Comparison of intravenous morphine versus paracetamol in sciatica: a randomized placebo controlled trial.Acad Emerg Med. 2016; 23: 674-678
- A randomized controlled trial of intranasal fentanyl vs intravenous morphine for analgesia in the prehospital setting.Am J Emerg Med. 2007; 25: 911-917
- Continuous low-level heat wrap therapy provides more efficacy than Ibuprofen and acetaminophen for acute low back pain.Spine (Philos Pa 1976). 2002; 27: 1012-1017
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation reduces acute low back pain during emergency transport.Acad Emerg Med. 2005; 12: 607-611
- Active warming during emergency transport relieves acute low back pain.Spine. 2004; 29: 1499-1503
Department of Health and Human Services. Review of Ambulance Tasmania Clinical and Operational Service Final Report, D.o.H.a.H. Services. Tasmanian Government: Tasmania; 2017.
Managing demand for ambulance services 2017. In: Wales. AOoNS, editor. [online]. Available at: https://www.audit.nsw.gov.au/our-work/reports/managing-demand-for-ambulance-services-2017–.2017.
- Introduction of an extended care paramedic model in New Zealand.Emerg Med Austral: EMA. 2012; 24: 652-656
SA Ambulance Service fact sheet. Extended Care Paramedics (ECPs). In: Health S, editor. Government of South Australia.2009.