- •Paediatric sepsis is a leading cause of childhood death globally; deemed an international health priority by the World Health Organisation.
- •Research findings over the past decade have enabled a better understanding of sepsis, prompting policy change.
- •Early recognition and management are paramount to reducing morbidity and mortality, with focus primarily on the critical care phase.
- •This piece contributes a unique overview and critical discussion of literature around paediatric sepsis, extending beyond critical care to include community, pre-hospital, and post-sepsis care.
- •It provides initiative for translation of the National and Global Action Plan for paediatric sepsis to guide the patient journey, aiming to enhance healthcare delivery.
- •It highlights requirements for future nursing and pre-hospital role development and contribution to care to enable provision of a comprehensive, multifaceted approach.
2.1 Systematic approaches to sepsis recognition
2.2 Recognition of sepsis by parents
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE)
- Clinical Excellence Commission
2.3 Recognition of sepsis in the pre-hospital environment
2.4 Recognition of sepsis in Emergency Departments — the role of nurses
3.1 Management of paediatric sepsis
- Keijzers G.
- Macdonald S.P.J.
- Udy A.A.
- Arendts G.
- Bailey M.
- Bellomo R.
- et al.
- Parker M.J.
- Thabane L.
- Fox-Robichaud A.
- Liaw P.
- Choong K.
- Keijzers G.
- Macdonald S.P.J.
- Udy A.A.
- Arendts G.
- Bailey M.
- Bellomo R.
- et al.
3.2 Management of care post-sepsis
4. Concluding statement — the need for a national approach
- Schwartz S.
Authorship contribution statement
Conflict of interest
- The global burden of paediatric and neonatal sepsis: a systematic review.Lancet Respir Med. 2018; 6: 223-230
- Global epidemiology of pediatric severe sepsis: the sepsis prevalence, outcomes, and therapies study.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2015; 191: 1147-1157
- Global, regional, and national sepsis incidence and mortality, 1990–2017: analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study.Lancet. 2020; 395: 200-211
- Global, regional, and national causes of child mortality in 2000–13, with projections to inform post-2015 priorities: an updated systematic analysis.Lancet. 2015; 385: 430-440
- Mortality related to invasive infections, sepsis, and septic shock in critically ill children in Australia and New Zealand, 2002–13: a multicentre retrospective cohort study.Lancet Infect Dis. 2015; 15: 46-54
- Trajectory of mortality and health-related quality of life morbidity following community-acquired pediatric septic shock.Crit Care Med. 2020; 48: 329-337
- Paediatric sepsis.Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2019; 32: 497-504
- Recognizing Sepsis as a global health priority — a WHO resolution.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 414-417
- Stopping sepsis: a national action plan.The George Institute for Global Health, 2017
- The impact of evidence-based sepsis guidelines on emergency department clinical practice: a pre-post medical record audit.J Clin Nurs. 2017; 26: 3588-3596
- American college of critical care medicine clinical practice parameters for hemodynamic support of pediatric and neonatal septic shock.Crit Care Med. 2017; 45: 1061-1093
- Surviving sepsis campaign international guidelines for the management of septic shock and sepsis-associated organ dysfunction in children.Intensive Care Med. 2020; 46: 10-67
- The role of parental concerns in the recognition of Sepsis in children: a literature review.Front Pediatr. 2019; 7: 161
- Emergency nurses’ knowledge and understanding of their role in recognising and responding to patients with sepsis: a qualitative study.Int Emerg Nurs. 2019; 43: 106-112
- Understanding presentations of children with fever to a Sydney emergency department.Nurs Res Pract. 2019; 3: 1-4
- Patterns of paediatric emergency presentations to a tertiary referral centre in the Northern territory.J Paediatr Child Health. 2017; 53: 3
- Pediatric septic shock in the Emergency Department: can we set the alarm clock a little forward?.Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2016; 17: 1011-1012
- Reducing collateral damage from mandates for time to antibiotics in pediatric sepsis-primum non nocere.JAMA Pediatr. 2019; 173: 409-410
- Multi-incident analysis of SAC 1 paediatric clinical incidents 2012-2014.Report. Queensland Health, 2018
- Suboptimal care in the initial management of children who died from severe bacterial infection: a population-based confidential inquiry.Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2010; 11: 469-474
- Improving adherence to PALS septic shock guidelines.Pediatrics. 2014; 133: e1358
- Adherence to PALS sepsis guidelines and hospital length of stay.Pediatrics. 2012; 130: e273-e280
- Implementation of goal-directed therapy for children with suspected sepsis in the emergency department.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: e758
- Protocolized treatment is associated with decreased organ dysfunction in pediatric severe Sepsis.Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2016; 17: 817-822
- High reliability pediatric septic shock quality improvement initiative and decreasing mortality (Report).Pediatrics. 2016; 138
- Sepsis: new horizons.Indian J Crit Care Med. 2010; 14: 1-2
- An emergency department septic shock protocol and care guideline for children initiated at triage.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: E1585-E1592
- The third international consensus definitions for sepsis and septic shock (Sepsis-3).J Am Med Assoc. 2016; 315: 801-810
- Septic shock in children: rapid recognition and initial resuscitation (first hour).2019 ([Available from: https://www.uptodate.com/contents/septic-shock-in-children-rapid-recognition-and-initial-resuscitation-first-hour])
- Barriers and facilitators to implementing a process to enable parent escalation of care for the deteriorating child in hospital.Health Expect. 2018; 21: 1095-1103
- Sepsis: risk stratification tools.https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng51/resources/algorithm-for-managing-suspected-sepsis-in-children-and-young-people-aged-1217-years-in-an-acute-hospital-setting-pdf-2551485713Date: 2017
- Paediatric sepsis pathway.
- Signs and symptoms for diagnosis of serious infections in children: a prospective study in primary care.Br J Gen Pract. 2007; 57: 538-546
- Healthcare utilization and infection in the week prior to sepsis hospitalization.Crit Care Med. 2018; 46: 513-516
- Parent escalation of care for the deteriorating child in hospital: a health-care improvement study.Health Expect. 2019; 22: 1078-1088
- Evaluation of a patient and family activated escalation system: Ryan’s rule.Aust Crit Care. 2020; 33: 39-46
- Knowledge and recognition of SIRS and sepsis among pediatric nurses.Pediatr Nurs. 2014; 40: 271
- Prediction of pediatric sepsis mortality within 1 h of intensive care admission.Intensive Care Med. 2017; 43: 1085-1096
- Epidemiology of sepsis and its recognition by emergency medical services personnel in the Netherlands.Prehosp Emerg Care. 2016; 20: 90-96
- Paramedic recognition of sepsis in the prehospital setting: a prospective observational study.Emerg Med Int. 2016; 20166717261
- Septic patients arriving with emergency medical services: a seriously ill population.Eur J Emerg Med. 2014; 21: 330-335
- Identification of adults with sepsis in the prehospital environment: a systematic review.BMJ. 2016; 6e011218
- Prehospital antibiotics in the ambulance for sepsis: a multicentre, open label, randomised trial.Lancet Respir Med. 2018; 6: 40-50
- Surviving sepsis campaign: international guidelines for management of sepsis and septic shock: 2016.Crit Care Med. 2017; 45
- Critical illness factors associated with long-term mortality and health-related quality of life morbidity following community-acquired pediatric septic shock.Crit Care Med. 2020; 48: 319-328
- Implications of the new international sepsis guidelines for nursing care.Am J Crit Care. 2013; 22 (1937-710X (Electronic))
- International critical care nursing considerations and quality indicators for the 2017 surviving sepsis campaign guidelines.Intensive Care Med. 2019; 45: 1663
- Impact of a sepsis educational program on nurse competence.J Contin Educ Nurs. 2015; 46: 179-186
- The impact of early identification and a critical care-based sepsis response team on sepsis outcomes.Crit Care Nurse. 2017; 37: 88-91
- Are nurses updated on the proper management of patients with sepsis?.Esc Anna Nery. 2019; : 23
- A survey of sepsis knowledge among Canadian emergency department registered nurses.Australas Emerg Care. 2019; 22: 119-125
- What nurses involved in a Medical Emergency Teams consider the most vital areas of knowledge and skill when delivering care to the deteriorating ward patient. A nurse-oriented curriculum development project.Nurse Educ Today. 2018; 67: 77-82
- Final year nursing student’s exposure to education and knowledge about sepsis: a multi-university study.Nurse Educ Today. 2021; 97104703
- Recognizing sepsis in the adult patient.AJN. 2009; 109: 40-45
- Emergency management of children with severe sepsis in the United Kingdom: the results of the Paediatric Intensive Care Society sepsis audit.Arch Dis Child. 2009; 94: 348
- Association between the New York sepsis care mandate and in-hospital mortality for pediatric sepsis.J Am Med Assoc. 2018; 320: 358-367
- SEPSIS KILLS: early intervention saves lives.Med J Aust. 2016; 204: 73
- An audit of ward nurses’ knowledge of sepsis.Nurs Crit Care. 2007; 12: 86-92
- Updates on pediatric sepsis.JACEP Open. 2020; 5: 981-983
- International pediatric sepsis consensus conference: definitions for sepsis and organ dysfunction in pediatrics.Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2005; 6: 2-8
- Defining pediatric sepsis.JAMA Pediatr. 2018; 172: 312-314
- Delayed antimicrobial therapy increases mortality and organ dysfunction duration in pediatric sepsis.Crit Care Med. 2014; 42: 2409-2417
- Restricted fluid resuscitation in suspected sepsis associated hypotension (REFRESH): a pilot randomised controlled trial.Intensive Care Med. 2018; 44: 2070-2078
- Mortality after fluid bolus in African children with severe infection.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 2483-2495
- Fluid bolus therapy in pediatric sepsis: current knowledge and future direction. (Report).Front Pediatr. 2018; 6
- The Australasian Resuscitation In Sepsis Evaluation: fluids or vasopressors in emergency department sepsis (ARISE FLUIDS), a multi-centre observational study describing current practice in Australia and New Zealand.Emerg Med Australas. 2020; 32: 586-598
- Exploring mechanisms of excess mortality with early fluid resuscitation: insights from the FEAST trial. (Report).BMC Med. 2013; 11
- Clinical practice parameters for hemodynamic support of pediatric and neonatal patients in septic shock.Crit Care Med. 2002; 30: 1365-1378
- Restricted fluid bolus versus current practice in children with septic shock: the FiSh feasibility study and pilot RCT.Health Technol Assess. 2018; 22
- A trial to determine whether septic shock-reversal is quicker in pediatric patients randomized to an early goal-directed fluid-sparing strategy versus usual care (SQUEEZE): study protocol for a pilot randomized controlled trial.Trials. 2016; 17: 556
- The restrictive IV fluid trial in severe sepsis and septic shock (RIFTS): a randomized pilot study.Crit Care Med. 2019; 47: 951-959
- Liberal versus restrictive intravenous fluid therapy for early septic shock: rationale for a randomized trial.Ann Emerg Med. 2018; 72: 457-466
- Conservative vs liberal fluid therapy in septic shock (CLASSIC) trial—protocol and statistical analysis plan.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2019; 63: 1262-1271
- The Australasian Resuscitation In Sepsis evaluation: FLUid or vasopressors in Emergency Department Sepsis, a multicentre observational study (ARISE FLUIDS observational study): rationale, methods and analysis plan.Emerg Med Australas. 2019; 31: 90-96
- Clinical practice parameters for hemodynamic support of pediatric and neonatal septic shock: 2007 update from the American College of Critical Care Medicine.Crit Care Med. 2009; 37: 666-688
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of thiamine as a metabolic resuscitator in septic shock: a pilot study.Crit Care Med. 2016; 44: 360-367
- Hydrocortisone, vitamin C, and thiamine for the treatment of severe sepsis and septic shock: a retrospective before-after study.Chest. 2017; 151: 1229-1238
- Ascorbic acid, corticosteroids, and thiamine in sepsis: a review of the biologic rationale and the present state of clinical evaluation.Crit Care. 2018; 22: 283
- Effect of vitamin C, hydrocortisone, and thiamine vs hydrocortisone alone on time alive and free of vasopressor support among patients with septic shock: the VITAMINS randomized clinical trial.J Am Med Assoc. 2020; 323: 423-431
- Outcomes of metabolic resuscitation using ascorbic acid, thiamine, and glucocorticoids in the early treatment of sepsis: The ORANGES Trial.Chest. 2020; 158: 164-173
- Deterioration in health-related quality of life is common among children surviving sepsis.Crit Care Med. 2016; 44: 407
- No pain, no gain in pediatric sepsis?.Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2014; 15: 264-266
- Health-related quality of life following pediatric critical illness.Intensive Care Med. 2015; 41: 1235-1246
- Health-related quality of life after pediatric severe sepsis.Healthcare. 2018; 6
- Impact of sepsis on neurodevelopmental outcome in a Swiss national cohort of extremely premature infants. (Report).Pediatrics. 2011; 128: e348
- Surviving sepsis campaign: research priorities for sepsis and septic shock.Crit Care Med. 2018; 46: 1334-1356
- Parent and staff perceptions of family-centered care in two Australian children’s hospitals.EJPCH. 2014; 1
- Beyond survival: pediatric critical care interventional trial outcome measure preferences of families and healthcare professionals.Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2018; 19: e105-e111
- Surviving sepsis campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock, 2012.Intensive Care Med. 2013; 39: 165-228
- Surviving sepsis campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock: 2008.Intensive Care Med. 2008; 34: 17-60
- The sepsis six: helping patients to survive sepsis.Br J Nurs. 2008; 17: 16-21
- Jeremy Hunt launches nationwide sepsis campaign to help parents spot the signs in children [Media News].2016 ([Available from: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/sepsis-campaign-nhs-jeremy-hunt-children-condition-what-are-symptoms-signs-child-health-a7476426.html])
- Sepsis.2019 ([Available from: http://www.nysed.gov/curriculum-instruction/sepsis])
- Educating the nurse of the future: a report of the independent review into nursing education.
- Using high-fidelity simulation to bridge clinical and classroom learning in undergraduate pediatric nursing.NET. 2013; 33: 648-654
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy